8.20.2012

summer fresh



There's something about summertime produce. It manages to taste better than any other food at any other time of year--it's sweeter and fresher and just better. Nectarines and salads from the shop in the village, and the first selection of apples, and a freshly-harvested jug of sour blackcurrants from the garden. 
Nothing tastes as good as succulent peaches, with juice that runs down your arms, and frozen grapes, with a sherbet tingle, and fresh peas, picked straight off the vine.
Sometimes, the surplus of all this goodness can be cooked up into sauces and pies and stews. Tiny pieces of summer are frozen, waiting to be reheated in the midst of a bleak winter. Those dishes just about manage to bring sunshine and warmth back into cold and raining days. Perhaps a beaker of lemonade stashed in the freezer for a grey day, or a bag full of frozen berries to be defrosted and savoured, or sticky jams cooked up with an excess of apricots.
I for one plan to have a plethora of summer-y goodness, both photos of my favourite foods and summer treats kept in the freezer, for the coming winter.
What are your favourite summer foods?

xx
L

10 comments:

  1. i love fruit─especially frozen berries. but i drink a lot of san pellegrino too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches, pears, and strawberries are my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit that I'm not much of a fruit person, but I'm trying to get into it. For health, you know? I do love Strawberries though. Their sweet, face-splattering juice is magnificent. I wish they were more of an all-year round lovely though, but it's true; you get the best ones in Summer.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peaches, watermelon, and cherries. :) Summer isn't my favorite season, but I have to say that all of the fresh fruit makes summer a wonderful time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm, peaches, grapes and strawberries are the best. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words, Libby! This is my favorite post of yours. :) Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, and Grapes are my favorite. Strawberries would be my favorite too, only I haven't had many sweet ones this summer. :)

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet picture.

    Cherries are one of my faves, but they're usually earlier in the summer. I just love fruit though, so it's hard to pick a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my grandma made watermelon tomato salad a few night ago, which was super weird but also good. so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat peaches like it's my job over the summertime. I'm also a lover of watermelon, cherries, raspberries, nectarines, ripe tomatoes -- mmm, I'm getting ahead of myself now. Better stop before I get too hungry.

    ReplyDelete